Nikolay

Find more posts by Nikolay

New Safari v12.0

09-19-2018 02:44 AM

Posted by:
Nikolay

Find more posts by Nikolay

New Safari v12.0 &#1090;o longer supports iGetter Extension

New Safari v12.0 on Mac &#1090;o longer supports unsafety extensions. So in does not support iGetter Extension.safariextz
Please fix it.
Regards,
Nikolay

09-19-2018 07:15 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

Find more posts by iGetter Support

Indeed, in Safari 12, Apple removed support for Safari extensions (.safariextz) and NPAPI plugins. They made exception only for the Flash plugin. Unfortunately, the new Safari app extensions that they propose, don't provide the same functionality as NPAPI plugins or the flexibility of Chrome and Firefox extensions. We work on a new Safari extension, but unfortunately it may be limited only to contextual menu commands "Download (all) with iGetter". I have no information how long will take for our Mac developer to release it.

In the meantime, you can add a new download by using some of the following methods:
1. Drag&drop a download link from Safari to the iGetter Dock icon.
2. Copy some link in Safari (through contextual menu command "Copy Link") then paste it in iGetter by menu Edit > Paste (Cmd+V) or menu File > New URL (Cmd+N).

09-20-2018 05:42 PM

Posted by:
Mike

Find more posts by Mike

Please fix this

Igetter Support.

While this seems to be a canned response and a work around. How about you actually fix the issue for your customers who paid for the software.

It is not like you were unaware this was going to happen, Apple has been warning developers (like yourselves) for sometime this was going to happen, yet you have done nothing.

I love the software and in the past your support has been great, this however is very disappointing.

And lastly, I prefer to continue using Safari as my browser of choice, not Firefox and definitely NOT Google Chrome.

09-21-2018 11:09 AM

Posted by:
B. Jansen

Find more posts by B. Jansen

Context menu "Download with iGetter" is all what I need in Safari.

And please make the next version a 64 bit app and it would be nice if the next version wouldn't consume all cpu power for just 2 downloads.

09-21-2018 01:09 PM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

The problem with Safari 12 is that Apple made a change without providing direct replacement for NPAPI plugins. It's interesting that they made exception for the Flash plugin and still keep the "Reload with Plug-Ins" command in the View menu. Flash is still available in Safari 12 despite the Steve Jobs' "Thoughts on Flash" in April, 2010:
https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

So, why don't you file a bug report to Apple to allow transfer of Safari downloads to third-party download managers? Current Chrome and Firefox versions do that (even not exactly what the Firefox XUL add-ons allowed before).

Also, we are grateful to all those users that decided to register iGetter and support us. However, you should note that some of them paid for iGetter v2 when Apple released Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" and still use it in "Mojave" without giving a dime since then.

09-23-2018 07:36 PM

Posted by:
Mike

Find more posts by Mike

Rubbish

As I mentioned, I like iGetter. However, I DO NOT see why you feel it is the public ie - customers, that need to write Apple. YOU are the developer and owe it to your customer base, this is just being lazy.

In addition, please don't prattle on about who pays for what versions, I have all version sand paid for all versions over the years, how about doing something for us rather than whine about it.

I am also happy to pay again as I like the product in order for it to work with Safari. I prefer Safari. I do not see that you have even bothered to mention on your main site (Not the forum) that any potential new customers who use Macs that it will not work.

Please do not get into the realm of false advertising.

09-24-2018 06:00 AM

Posted by:
iGetter Support

@Mike
You're talking to a support person here. Our Mac developer is not reading the forums or support emails, except in very rare cases or when I post a bug report to him. All we can do now is wait for him to release a new app extension which most probably will be very limited due to Apple (by not providing any direct replacement for NPAPI plugins). For comparison, Chrome disabled NPAPI plugins in 2015 and Firefox in 2017, but both provided "good enough" API replacement.

BTW, there is a forum thread about Safari 12, started by "B. Jansen" which you may search and post there.

Do you know that situation on Windows is even more dramatic? The Edge browser that ships with Windows 10 allows only selected third-party extensions on their Windows Store (by default it supports Flash player and PDF reader). In addition, the "downloads" API which we need is still "Under consideration" at least from two years (search for "Microsoft Edge extension API roadmap"). I imagine that some registered user may send to us a "fix it immediately" request, because he paid for iGetter. Fortunately, there are no such requests to us, yet. Users either don't use Edge or just understand that it is browser responsibility to provide proper APIs to third-party developers.

09-24-2018 07:46 PM

Posted by:
Mike

Find more posts by Mike

Yes, I understand it is a support forum, but how else are we to get our message across. It is not like I have an email address for the developer do I. You are the only contact with him from our perspective.

We rely on you to assist us in getting it done.

In the meantime, I guess we just have to wait, but I won't hold my breath.

No more comments from me.

10-13-2018 10:41 AM

Posted by:
Brian

Find more posts by Brian

What it appears iGetter needs is a "Safari App Extension". Here are two articles from Apple, just in case the developer isn't aware:

Converting a Legacy Safari Extension to a Safari App Extension:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/safari_app_extensions/building_a_safari_app_extension?changes=_2

Building a Safari App Extension:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/safari_app_extensions/building_a_safari_app_extension?changes=_2

I hope it doesn't take too long for a resolution. The alternate methods are rather tedious when you download a lot of files like I do.

12-06-2018 01:22 AM

Posted by:
DominikR

Find more posts by DominikR

iGetter support, please be more professional in your replies.
Shifting the need to do something to your users is not.
Whataboutism (what about Edge on Windows) is not. Especially when you take in mind how much market percentage Edge has, or that Edge will be deprecated by Microsoft soon. Safari is the browser on OS X with the most market share.
"We are not getting paid by old users" is also not professional, especially if you don't warn *NEW* users that the plugins are broken on the newest OS X version.

All times are CT (US)    Post New Thread     Post A Reply